Friday, May 1, 2009

Week 11 - last thing

Overall, this has been an amazing adventure. My brain is crammed to overflowing with new learning and creative ideas. Although 23 Things is geared for librarians, I have found many things were equally relevant to my work as an elementary school teacher. I have shared many of my discoveries with my teaching job share partner.
Perhaps the thing that has had the most impact on my work as a librarian is learning how to create and use a blog. After finding out how it easy it was to create a basic blog, I created a second blog for the library. It has proven to be a simple way to provide patrons with information about events at the library. We do not have a website and so the blog is filling the void.
Currently our library is conducting a community survey about library services and because space has become an issue, how the community wants to see the library grow. With the help of a board member the survey is available on line and there is a link to the library blog. http://monktonlibrary.blogspot.com
I really liked the Common Craft videos. Very clear, concise, basic information that was easy to understand. I shared several of them with my job share partner at school.
Most likely I will continue to use Flikr, delicious, and YouTube. I would like to investigate librarything and Mappr more. My use of social networking with FaceBook is alive and well, several times a day actually.
At this point I am not sure how I will use the RSS feeds. Although I initially liked the idea of having access to so much news about so many things, I found it too overwhelming. I will be thinking about this particular tech tool more.
I have enjoyed this learning experience. I always feel invigorated when I am learning new things. I also feel overwhelmed by this experience. Unfortunately, because of my work schedules both at the library and at school I have not been able to spend as much time as this project really deserves. I would like to think that I could go back again and again to each of the things and play around. I have created a written journal to help me remember places I will return to after 23 things disappears into cyber space. I have also bookmarked many sites on delicious as a way of getting back to some of my favorites.
I would definitely participate in other learning experiences like this in the future. My school district hosts many tech learning workshops on a regular basis. I have spoken with our technology people about the possibility of creating something similar to 23 Things. I know she has spoken with someone in department of Libraries about how to make this happen.
Many thanks for many things.

No comments: